Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Eye of the Tiger

Would someone please explain to me the lure of Tiger Woods?

I understand he plays a great game of golf...but this deifying him is a bit much.

I wrote about this before in a blog on Myspace.

But now that he is making his miracle comeback the slurping at the alter of Tiger has gotten worse.

Let's get the facts. The guy had a hairline fracture (we're told) and had some knee work done. Then, because he can afford it, he took nine months or so off to recover with the best doctors and therapy you can buy.

Now he says he is ready to go back to hitting a little white ball and walking around for a few hours?

And we celebrate that?

Anquan Boldin had to have screws and a plate put in his face after a hit on the football field and was back in two weeks!

I have a guy at work who (for less than $15.00 an hour) is upset that he has to take time off for shoulder surgery. He hurt it actually working. He's looking at a minimum of 6-10 weeks off and he's spitting nails about wanting to come back as soon as possible.

But Tiger is an amazing story?

Please.

The fools who run the PGA have no one to blame but themselves.

Tiger is an amazing golfer, but that story writes itself. If they had any sense they would have been pushing the fringe players too. Get the everyman story out there.

But no...they only saw the dollar signs from Tiger and when he took his nearly a year off for his miraculous recovery they we left with nothing to promote...except when Tiger would come back.

So they made their bed...I'm no more interested in golf whether Eldrick is playing or not.

But please don't give me the amazing comeback stories anymore.

~ Glenn

1 comment:

Pete said...

I think you are absolutely correct, why all the hype.
Many years ago I got my right arm caught in a printing press while helping a fellow worker, and I went back to work after 1 week with 40 stitches on my fingers and hand. I guess if I had Tiger's money I would have taken 2 weeks.