Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I-95

So why are most managers assholes?

Are their bosses assholes so they feel like they have to "pay it forward"?

Or do they think if they are big enough jerks they'll get promoted and be able to be jerks to more people?

So what brought this thought on was I stopped at Sheetz last night for a soda.

Now I don't think most of the people working at a Sheetz on the night shift are looking to move up the corporate ladder there. I'm not saying they aren't hard working, honest people. But I bet if they could find a good paying job elsewhere they'd jump at it.

Anyway, there are two people working at 7pm. One guy making the food and one girl working the counter. They were probably both in their late teens or early 20's.

There were about four or five people in the line checking out and I was at the end of the line.

From behind me I heard the unmistakable voice of a woman who has made poor career choices her entire life.

She was yelling at the girl working the cash register and asking why there was only one decaf coffee made.

There must be two at all times!

While still checking out the line of customer, making change, bagging items...the girl responded that she wasn't sure why since she did not remove the other pot.

Not satisfied our decaf dictator continues to inform the younger girl of the appropriate supply of pseudo-fresh decaf that must be available according to the Sheetz handbook of all things super important.

Our check out person was visibly nervous and I wondered if she was even giving out the right change anymore at this point.

Luckily for her our chief or coffee turned her attention to the young man cooking. Demanding he drop everything and get her a decaf pot...STAT!

At that point I checked out and left...shaking my head.

I've worked for quite a few good and bad bosses in my day.

I've learned that you have to be tough sometimes, but situations dictate your response and how you handle your employees.

Hopefully these two kids learn fro the psycho and someday get the chance to treat employees better.

Of course they'll probably turn out to be assholes and take out their bad memories on a whole new bunch of kids.

~ Glenn

(PS: I have a history of using song title for my posts...if you don't know what I-95 stand for you probably don't want to Google it and listen.)

No comments: